To create your own affirmation(s), let's break it down.
- Personal - I, me, my, mine, as simple as that. That is who will change or benefit - you.
- Positive - that seems obvious, doesn't it? Ever encounter someone (you included) who described himself or herself as clumsy, unattractive, stupid, bad with this, bad with that, etc. and thought they were simply describing reality? It is often referred to as "self-fulfilling prophecy". They are effectively utilizing a negative affirmation and making it reality.
- Present Tense - Stated as if it is happening now, or has already begun to happen. "I enjoy being free of cigarettes", "I feel good when I eat healthy and exercise", "I am calm and in control". Consistent repetition impresses the affirmation onto the subconscious, which in turn begins to drive behavior and emotions.
- Visual - Visualize or imagine, picture or simply just pretend - make the desired behavior a reality in your imagination. If you can do so relaxed and undisturbed with eyes closed for a few minutes, so much the better.
- Emotional - As you visualize or repeat the affirmation, feel the associated emotion you desire - the joy and elation of a new or improved relationship, the satisfaction of a successful sales call or job interview, the positive feelings associated with quitting a negative, destructive habit - the possibilities are limitless.